Monday, October 31, 2011

Day 29: Velveeta Shells & Cheese

IMAG0131
Pretty sure I wouldn't have made it through college without a diet rich in Velveeta Shells & Cheese.  I'm also nearly positive that the foil packet of "cheese" is not actually "cheese" by any non-American definition.  Regardless, I love me some
shells & cheese, so much so that I laughed out loud at Publix when I saw this box.  In fact, a stranger stopped me and asked me why I was laughing and taking a picture...it must have been quite the sight. 

Try as I might, I cannot find any information anywhere about Kraft's involvement in the fight against breast cancer.  The packaging says they are supporting the NBCF but there is no indication of any donation.  I THINK what is happening here is that they are using this back panel as their "education and awareness" and calling it a day. 
IMAG0133
I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing because they do not seem to be claiming anything and their guidelines do match up with the generally accepted early detection guidelines.  But, I did spend a few
minutes Googling Kraft so I figured I'd throw some tidbits at you:

  • Kraft, until recently, was owned by Phillip Morris.  I'm not going to get in to the tobacco issue, but if you think there isn't a link between cigarettes and cancer, you need to go find another blog to read.  Maybe on called "The Sky is Purple" or "Life with Your Head in the Sand".

  • I've already noted this in an earlier blog, but there is no doubt that a healthy diet, low in fat, is known to decrease cancer risk.  18% of your daily saturated fat?  36% of your sodium?  No wonder this stuff is so delicious!


  • Studies linking increased consumption butter made from milk high in fatty acids decreases cancer risk.  One major funder of the study:  Kraft Foods.

So, I'm not going to come right out and say it, but considering this is from a few minutes of research, there is some pretty good evidence that maybe Kraft isn't all warm, delicious 'cheese' covered shells.

IMAG0134

No comments:

Post a Comment