Monday, October 31, 2011

Day 30: Facebook Ads

I'll admit it, I spend a TON of time on Facebook.  In fact, if you are reading this right now, you probably linked to it from my Facebook page.  With a bazillion users and growing every day, it is a powerful tool for marketing and marketing pink ribbon crap is no exception:

A small ad for deodorant popped up along the right-hand side of my Facebook page so of course, I had to click on it.  Naturally Fresh is running a breast cancer awareness campaign and is using Facebook to market it's deodorant.

The key selling feature is that you can use this deodorant while getting a mammogram and it will not obscure the results. 

If you've ever had a mammogram, you already know that you are not supposed to wear deodorant at all.  I think it has something to do with all the metals in standard deodorant (which have not been linked to breast cancer, despite the periodic e-mail chains to the contrary).  It isn't a huge hardship.  You get a mammogram once a year, so for a few hours until your appointment, you can't wear deodorant.  I try hard to avoid things like the gym, being in the heat, cooking and any other things that make me sweat until after my annual smooshing.  Then I put on some deodorant (but I still avoid the aforementioned actitvities).

I really can't see myself buying a deodorant that is useful for one day out of the year.  And, no offense to "natural" products, but my experience has been that when you shop like a hippie, you end up smelling like one, too.

I'm not going to go in to detail on all the other ones that I found, but a few snippets:

American Airlines "Fly For the Cure":  Wants you to "like" their page and pin a pink ribbon on the map where you live.  You can also go through a link on their page to donate directly to Komen.  AA is giving airline miles for your donations, so it is actually a pretty cool idea, in my opinion.  Plus, you are donating directly instead of via the corporation. 

Bank of America:  Been there, done that, see previous blog entry.

Good Cook's Hope:  It seems to me that there is a typo there, but I guess "cook's" could be posessive there, too.  Anyway, if you click on that ad it takes you to a Publix rebate form.  If you purchase a certain amount of P&G cookware, you get a rebate.  No indication of a donation, no indication of an organization that is funded, and even though "Good Cook" is a registered trademark, I can't seem to find the exact website for the organization.  This might be it, but I can't find any reference to breast cancer on their website.

I DID find out that they are based in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, which I just find totally hilarious to say.

Dress Barn's Pink Pledge:  Leave it to a place whose name makes you automatically associate yourself with a cow or horse before entering.  Dress Barn's "Pink Pledge" is basically just a place where you can go on and enter your contact information (for coupons and other information) and say you are going to take care of yourself.  I rank pledges to Dress Barn right up there with the Pledge of Allegience.  If I tell Dress Barn I'm going to do something, then surely me and the other 6,000 women who took the pledge will do it, too.  Oh, upload a photo?  Why sure.  Feel free to use my face in your marketing, Dress Barn.  You are what's right with corporate America what with us giving you our contact info in the name of a good cause and then promoting yourselves like you are actually doing something.

Woah.  Sorry 'bout that rant.  I think I'm mostly mad about the "barn" part.

2 comments:

  1. "My experience has been that when you shop like a hippie, you end up smelling like one, too." Truer words have never been spoken my friend... what will you do now that it's November? Your Jordan-chapter readers would like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that I have received my herbal medicine so he instructed me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cures my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:    Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/   Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Meniere's disease , Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer. Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,Lupus,Endometrial Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases  
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis  

    ReplyDelete